Thursday, January 26, 2012

New Eyes

I finished reading our Pastor's new book, The Necessity of an Enemy in three days. For those of you who know how much I love to read (note the sarcasm), that's saying something in itself about the book! Part of it's attraction is that it was written by Pastor Ron who has been our Pastor for almost a year now and has deposited so much life changing word in us it's unbelievable. But more so, this book has revolutionized the way I view the reasons for enemies and difficult situations in my own life.

Today, in my daily Bible reading, I read the part in Genesis about the story of Joseph. (If you are unfamiliar with this story, I encourage you to click here and read it again.) I have read this passage probably hundreds of times, as I really love the old testament accounts. But this time, I read it with new eyes. Let me explain. If you recall the passage, it starts with Joseph, and his dreaming self. It made me remember all the dreams I have had...all the words spoken to me from God that I have hidden in my heart even though I still see no way for some of them to come to pass. Sometimes I just resolve that maybe it wasn't really from God, maybe it was just my imagination and my own desire to be used by God. I try to dismiss it, but deep down inside, there is just an unshakable feeling that it is still part of the plan God has for me to walk through. I imagine Joseph might have felt the same way, especially when he was riding in the caravan of merchants to Egypt as nothing more than a slave. I bet he was saying something to the effect of, "Why did I open my mouth to my brothers in the first place? Look at the mess that my dream has gotten me into now!" But looking back on it, his brothers, appearing as enemies, were actually the tools needed to reposition Joseph-to bring him to a place where he never would have reached, had he stayed in the comfort and security of his father's house. When we view enemies in that light, they appear to be more of a friend than a foe! Of course, this made me think of the time when Luis and I moved to Arizona. At that point in our newly married life, we were in desperate need of a complete overhaul. Every road in South Carolina lead to a dead end. There was no help in sight. Then God used what appeared to be a bad situation to reposition us so that we could stay on the path intended for us. Oh, I am sure that many people would say that we were in rebellion, not hearing from God, and ignoring Godly counsel, but the fact of the matter was that God had something for us in a different place, and ultimately, our trials and conflicts were the very stepping stones that put us on the right path again. I no longer detest the conflict that we experienced, although it was so painful at the time. I know that because ultimately we loved God and wanted to follow him completely, He worked the seemingly horrible situation into something beautiful. I don't view the people who came against us as enemies, but rather tools that God used to move us on to our next position on the pathway towards the destiny planned for us. When we take this view, and look back at Joseph, suddenly everything changes. Potipher's wife, who tried to seduce Joseph, was merely a tool used by God to move Joseph from the position of being a servant to one of Pharaoh's officials (which was probably a pretty comfortable place to be) to being second in command of all of Egypt after Pharaoh (which is where he was destined to fulfill the dream God had given him many years prior.) In our fleshly minds, we think it would be so nice if life was pleasant and comfortable all the time, but what if in settling for comfort, we never reach the destiny God has for us? NOT WORTH IT!!

So, in looking at my life right now (and yours), are there things that are acting like enemies in the way?  Does it seem like there is a road block and no way out? As Pastor Ron says in his book, be thankful! It's a sign that you're season is about to change and your position is shifting. That gets me so excited because we have been facing a tough battle for a while now-and it may be the same for you, too. Hold on! Don't give up! Don't settle for comfort, but push through the tough times, the pain and the frustration! The season is about to change!
 

No comments: