Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Pride comes AFTER the fall...

I was laying on the sofa with my sprained ankle on Sunday afternoon, and Luis and the boys had just returned from the Spanish service. I was still in the same clothes from the day before, and unshowered, since I couldn't walk at all. Just then, two of the families from the Spanish church came over. My first reaction was "oh no" due to the condition I was in, but it was just me being overly prideful, wanting my appearance and house to be in perfect shape, and it wasn't. I quickly got over my childish attitude, and we all just sat and chatted for a couple of hours. Luis's Mom brought over a huge pot of pozole for everyone to eat. I have been humbled and blessed by the help that I was given, just in the short time I was unable to walk. My mother-in-law cooked, another family did my dishes, and a third family brought me "get well" flowers. It's sometimes difficult for me to be on the receiving end of blessing, as I would much rather be on the giving end. But I have learned over the last couple of years how to just say "thank you", and accept the various help, whether it be material, emotional, or otherwise. None of us have it all together, and all of us are needy at times. Before everyone left, we prayed together for various needs, and my foot started feeling better right away. The next morning, I woke up and was actually able to walk without my crutches, only limping a slight bit. I know God began to heal my foot that night, and I almost missed a blessing because of my pride. I wonder how many other times the Lord has tried to get our attention, but we were so wrapped up in our selves to even realize He was there. Help us Lord to get out of Your way!

No comments: