Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Whole New World

Tonight after church, we drove to the mini mart.

Jonathan: "Mom, there are so many letters written all over the front of that store".

Me: "Yes, and do you know that all those letters together are making different words?"

Jonathan: "They are?"

I proceeded to read a few words to him as he watched in wide-eyed wonder at what he thought was just a random bunch of letters on the window of the store. All of a sudden, a light went on in his little mind, and he realized that what he thought he was observing was, in actuality, something very different. Yes, they were still letters, and he was able to tell what each letter was, but now there was meaning and purpose to those letters.

It got me thinking about how it is the same way when God first becomes real to us. I am not talking about the first time we went to church, or heard about God. I am talking about when we, for the first time, begin to comprehend just what Jesus had done for us. How much He wants to be part of our lives minute by minute. How he loves us with an everlasting, unconditional love. Up until we reach that point, we look at life with an "it is what it is" mentality. Then, the Lord turns on that eternal light bulb and what was merely our life as we observed it through physical eyes, is now transformed into what we perceive through spiritual eyes. A whole new, exciting world has come alive. Our life suddenly takes on new meaning and new purpose. Just as the letters did for Jonathan. It never ceases to amaze me that the God of this universe, the Creator of every living thing, the One who was, who is, and who is to come, knows us, loves us, and wants to show Himself to us more and more each day. He, being God, could use any gigantic, extravagant method to reveal Himself, and yet, He chooses to use a simple conversation between a Mom and her son to do so.

I want to be like the Psalmist who said, "Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."

I know most of you reading this have had that real experience with the Lord, and I am so thankful. If, however, anyone who reads this hasn't and would like to know more about it, please don't hesitate to send me a comment and we can chat. Love to all!

No comments: