Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Oh what a night (and morning)...

For dinner last night, I made pinto beans to go with our fish. Lily is quickly learning how to make use of her two little bottom teeth, and she ate a whole plateful of beans. Later, while the kids were showering and getting ready for bed, Lily became very fussy. I knew it was gas from the beans, and her multiple "toots" proved that I was right. Soon her little whines became full blown screams around midnight. By 2:00am, I was ready to cry as well. At 4:00am, I was delirious with exhaustion. At 6:00am, the alarm went off, and, ready or not, the school day began! I was a little short with the kids and Luis this morning. Jonathan decided that he wanted to drag the chair all the way around the table, between the high chair and the table. It didn't fit, so he was trying to MAKE it fit, by repeatedly banging the chair on the table. Luis switched his potato chips for Cheetos, which I had planned on giving Jonathan, so HE received the "look" from me as well. Joshua chose his own clothes this morning, and to be honest, he could have left the house with a garbage bag on and I probably wouldn't have cared. We all got in the car, and the chilly morning air breathed some life into my sleepy body. I dropped the boys off at their schools, and headed home, now feeling much more awake, and even deciding to go on my morning walk instead of going home and going back to bed. So, I pulled into the driveway, got the stroller out, fastened Lily, and off we were. I do some of my best praying on my morning walks. Lily is always so happy and quiet that I can really meditate and pray about anything and everything. This morning, I found myself praying exceptionally well...as I passed my neighbor's house, and saw that their goat, who is usually chained, wasn't. He walked right toward me...I think he thought I was just his "type". I tried yelling to scare the goat away, but he just kept coming. I clapped my hands and made loud noises, but I think all it did was egg him on. I had flashbacks to the story of my niece being gored by a goat in the thigh. The only form of protection I had was the stroller, which held my precious little gas filled baby, and even though she was the reason for my complete lack of sleep last night, I wasn't about to sacrifice her stroller with her in it to the lord of the goats...no matter how scared I was. Now, I have only been walking for like 4 weeks now, hardly enough time to lose any weight, and definitely not enough time to be in any shape to run. So, like the scared chicken that I am, I walked as fast as I could, down the hill to the end of our road. Brilliant. Instead of just turning around and going back to my house which was just two driveways away, I went down the road. My heart was beating a mile a minute, and I could hardly catch my breath. I'm sure it was the best work out I have had in a long time. At the bottom of the hill, I found a big stick, so I balanced it on the top of the stroller and headed back home. My usual two trips down and up the hill became only one this morning, and my fervent and effectual prayers were just that.

Important conclusions:

It's going to be a long time before I give Lily pinto beans again.
Sleep is a good thing, and the lack thereof is detrimental to your health.
Goats are my least favorite of God's creation, I hope there are no goats in heaven.

No comments: