Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Away in a Manger

One of my favorite sights at Christmas is the nativity. Here in Hampton, down in the main square, they have a large, almost life-sized, nativity that is just beautiful. While Hampton has it's problems, it's nice that at least they get some things right now and again. We have a small nativity that I have set up in the living room. It's funny...amidst all the ornaments, ribbons and bows, the thing that the kids enjoy putting up the most is the manger and all the characters. It's almost as if they sense something special about it, even without really understanding the full importance of it at their early ages. I remember growing up, Mom had a manger, too. I used to love to assemble it as well. Hers had a light that was placed through a hole in the back of the "stable", and I remember how I used to sit next to the fireplace, or wherever Mom decided to place the manger that year, and rearrange the sheep, and the cow with the funny spring horns, and I would notice how Mary and Joseph's faces would glow from the light from that star-bulb. Since I have had my boys, I find myself thinking how it must have been to give birth outside, surrounded by lowing animals and a bustling city too small to hold all of the citizens returning for the census. A far cry from the beautiful birthing centers and even hospital rooms that we find ourselves in today, (which many times we complain about in the course of our stay). I also find myself wondering if I would have been as brave as Mary to say "yes" to the Lord's plan. How it must have felt to be carrying the Savior of the world for nine months, then raise Him, and ultimately watch Him hang on a cross for all humanity...even for those who would mock and reject Him. Then to raise again, in all His glory. What a time it must have been to be alive. Sadly, for some both then and now, it is a tale too far-fetched for their logical, pragmatic minds to believe. For the rest of us, it is the foundation of all of our faith, the Hope that we cling to, and the Promise that is soon to come again.

No comments: