Tuesday, May 5, 2009

chocolate, chocolate everywhere...

I don't know if your family is anything like mine, but somehow, after any holiday that features candy (Valentine's day, Easter, etc) we have tons of left-over goodies. The Easter basket was still sitting on our counter, and the boys had long since forgotten about it's sweet treasures inside. Even Luis's last two bites of his white chocolate cross were still in there. Normally, the chocolate would call my name, and I would be the one who sneaks a piece here and there. But when I am pregnant, I have this incredible will power to stay away from things that are not healthy for me and/or the baby. (I have to admit, I choose not to exercise that will power when I am not pregnant.) Therefore...the candy has just sat there for weeks. So today, I decided to do something about it. I pulled out the double boiler, and began unwrapping bite sized snickers, and foil eggs. I looked in my snack cabinet, and found some caramel marshmallows that no one was eating. I added a little butter, and a bag of popcorn that just came out of the microwave. I made some mean looking caramel, chocolate, marshmallow popcorn balls. OK, they are probably not as good as the Harry and David popcorn with chunks of chocolate, but hey, they smell fabulous! So far, I have resisted (unless you count the time I licked my fingers after packaging all the balls)....Hopefully I can stay away altogether! The real test will be Josh, who doesn't care much for popcorn. I might have to bring them to the ball game tonight, and have my sisters kids eat them. Even so, I just love experimenting with left overs...it's always an adventure!

No comments: