Monday, June 15, 2009

Bitten

Yesterday, the boys and I were riding home after church, and I spotted a tiny orange kitten standing on the edge of the road. It had just rained really hard, and the poor little kitten was shivering and meowing, and seemed to be in a state of shock. I was afraid the little kitty would get run over, so I pulled the car off the road, and tried to catch it. Every time I attempted to reach the kitten, it ran under my car! (It was like a bad episode of the Carol Burnett show!) Just then, Luis came driving by (he had to take a friend to run an errand), and he pulled over to see what I was doing. When I told him about the kitten, I could tell he was LESS than thrilled, but humored me (and the kids at this point) in rescuing the poor little kitty. It the process of trying to grab the cat, Luis got bit! We were unable to get the cat, and searched for it for about an hour, but couldn't find it. Long story short, I called the health department and talked to my friend Reahnita (who I used to work with when I worked in environmental health, which included the rabies investigations!!) and she got the process going for Luis to start his rounds of post exposure rabies shots. Boy do I feel like such a heel today! I will NEVER (under any circumstances!) ever stop for an animal again! I already told the kids, if they see something, don't tell me! They say the shots aren't as bad as they used to be...they don't go into the stomach and hurt like the dickens anymore, but still, he has to receive 6 of them! Luis is being a good sport about it, and hasn't even gotten angry (which wouldn't have been me if the tables were turned!) We are off to his MD in a few minutes...UGH!

No comments: