Thursday, May 20, 2010

The end of the fast...

Our church went on a 10 day fast, leading up to the day of Pentecost...and we, as a family, decided to fast sweets, sodas, sweet tea, and caffeine. It has been an especially tough 10 days for the kids, who LOVE their sweeties! They took the fast very seriously, and stayed away from anything sweet. Last night, on the way home from church, I had to stop for gas. Josh asked if he could use his money to buy a drink. He and Luis got out of the car, and Josh found $8.00 just lying on the ground in front of the car. He was so excited that he shared $2.00 (which is a major deal to Josh) with his brother. Then the three of them went into the market. The boys knew the fast was still on, so Jonathan got a fruit juice (100% juice) and Josh got what he thought was a white milk, but when he got into the car and drove away, we realized it was a vanilla milk...aka...sugar! So, Josh, with a sad face and tears, asked if we could return it. It was already 10:00pm...and we were halfway home, so I told him we couldn't. He knew he shouldn't drink it, but I told him that it was his decision. I was so proud of him when he stuck it in my purse and said, I'll save it for the morning! And that's just what he did.

These past ten days have been really good! The Holy Spirit has been moving mightily in our church this past week, and in us as individuals. Luis has had a breakthrough in his prayer life, I have felt a sense of order come into the house, and the kids have been eating their meals better and playing together better. I'm sure it's partly because I have completely cut out the sugars (as much as I could) from their diet, but I know that there is a spiritual aspect that can't be ignored. As a result, we have also made some new rules around the house regarding sweeties and the amount we consume. As a special treat, I made cupcakes this morning, while the boys were still asleep...and I let them have a cupcake breakfast!




Now that breakfast is over, our new rules are in effect! What a great experience this has been!

No comments: