Thursday, July 2, 2009

I came, I saw, I ran out of gas...

I woke up this morning with a burst of energy. (Hope that doesn't mean that Little Lily is coming sooner than expected!!) Anyway, so I ventured out to the yard, and decided that I would surprise Luis by cutting the grass. When I was a teenager, Dad used to let us cut the lawn with the John Deere, so it's not like I have never used a riding lawn mower before...but in the whole 12+ years of our marriage, I have never cut the lawn...Luis always does it. I think he enjoys it and he relaxed while getting the satisfaction of having a nicely trimmed yard. So I grabbed the key and went outside. I climbed on the tractor, and being the logical, pragmatic woman that I am...I looked for directions...sure enough...right there in front of me. So I turned the key...nothing. I thought maybe I grabbed the wrong key (Luis is a mechanic...we have thousands of keys!) so I went in the house to search again...then I remembered, there's a safety mechanism on the tractor...I forgot to push the brake to start it. I finally got it started, and began in our "soccer field". It's the largest, most rectangular section of our lawn. I tried to remember how Dad used to tell us to cut, so we didn't leave patches of tall grass...Dad's lawn always looked so beautiful! I got to the last part of the field, made my final pass...then sput, sput, putter, putter...I ran out of gas! So much for my surprise. So, to console myself, Josh and I subsequently consumed almost an entire half of ice cold watermelon by ourselves. (Jonathan detests the taste...more for us!) It's so hot lately, but still nothing compared to Arizona.

No comments: